Re: anyone have a epson stylus photo 870 working?

On Sun, 4 Mar 2001 16:32:24 -0900
Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 11:38:38AM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:
>
> if it isn't going to work right in color there is no sense keeping
> this printer.  its cheaper to get a used postscript laser off ebay.

I bought an Epson 680 yesterday and spent much of the day trying to get
good output with the gimp-print plugin. I was disappointed that the print
quality wasn't as good as that from the Windows drivers. May be with lots
of tweaking of settings . .

Anyway, right at the end of the evening, I noticed a posting on the
Linux-usb board about a driver Epson in Japan had written for the 680/777,
880 and 980 models. I downloaded the rpm and it installed cleanly onto my
Debian box. The print quality is everything I wanted *and* there is a GUI
tool for setting paper type, print quality etc.. Wonderful!! I have never
seen such good quality colour printing from Linux before. You need to add
the stanza in /etc/printcap manually, and also the spool file, but it is
all explained in the release notes. Took all of 5 minutes to get working.
Not sure if it will apply to your model, but worth a try.

The url is:

http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/pro_e/pips_e.html

Fingers crossed.

--