Re: It's MY computer, not Bill's!

also sprach Charles Lewis (on Thu, 01 Mar 2001 02:15:36PM -0800):
> I've been very happy creating just 2 partitions. 1 for swap and 1 for
> everything else. Simple and easy, and I have yet to regret it on any of the
> systems that I have installed. I would be interested in a discussion of
> possible ramifications of using this method.

DoS attacks. inode numbers. reinstalling while keeping /home and
/usr/local.

in any case, given robert's position, the / and <swap> 2 partition
approach you proposed is probably best. i believe linux and bsd should
stay within a single partition if all ports are closed and the system
is single-user, or within a closed trusted group like a family. as
soon as ports are open, or other users use the system, the meaning and
positives of separate /var, /tmp, and /home partitions should be
thoroughly understood, and only then should a system be created with
more partitions. i have 9 partitions on all my systems :)

martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--