Re: It's MY computer, not Bill's!

on 3/1/01 11:35 AM, MaD dUCK at madduck@madduck.net wrote:

> what is the machine going to serve?
>
> - pop3?              i'd assume no
> - smtp                          yes
> - proxy services?               yes
> - NAT?                          yes
> - DNS?                          no
> - DHCP?                         no
> - firewall                      no

DHCP is nice for allowing any computer to plug in to your network without
configuration, such when you have a laptop from work or you have relatives
that come for a visit and bring their laptop, etc.

firewalling would depend on the type of internet connection you have. If you
have an always-on connection (such as DSL, cable, satellite, wireless,etc),
then a firewall would be advisable. If it's just a modem connection, one
could argue that a firewall is not as necessary.

>> I would like advice about partitioning.
>
> with 42Gb, you will be safe as follows:
>
> hda1   /boot    16M
> hda2   <swap>   your RAM size
> hda5   /        500M
> hda6   /usr     10G
> hda7   /home    29G
> hda8   /var     1G
> hda9   /tmp     1G

I use to worry about this when I first started because I had absolutely no
clue as to what partitions needed to be created and what size to make them.
Especially when considering different size hard drives on different systems.
I know that there are reasons to have separate partitions, but quite frankly
I've been very happy creating just 2 partitions. 1 for swap and 1 for
everything else. Simple and easy, and I have yet to regret it on any of the
systems that I have installed. I would be interested in a discussion of
possible ramifications of using this method.

--
Charles Lewis
lewisc@delta.swau.edu