RE: Getting to the GUI...

> 	A 2x4 refers to standard size of lumber used in housing construction
> 	here in the United States.  It is 2 inches by 4 inches - at least it
> 	used to be.
> 	A 1 meter long 5x10 used off the side of someone's head is a good way
> 	to get their attention!!!

Ouch! Hope my mails didn't feel like that :)

> 	And no I still don't have X working yet.  But will soon.

If you post your ouput again, after having deleted /etc/XF86Config, we
might be able to help you...

>       Actually, I
> 	was in a book store looking at the O'Reilly books on Linux when the
> 	earthquake hit (I live near Seattle).

...but then again, you might have other problems at the moment... Hope it
didn't hit you too hard. Anyway, feel free to ask again when you have your
head free for it.

> 	Yes!  Solve the problem in the time-honored fashion.  Throw money at it!!

Thats's not what I meant ;) I thought you wanted to get that switch
anyway, to be able to use the bigger/better/generally nicer tube with
Linux. In that case, I thought a somewhat working solution for the short
time would be good enough.

> 	Actually, I may borrow a tube from work until my KVM (keyboard-video-mouse)
> 	switch comes in.

Try just leaving the (to paraphrase) "not too ambitious" modelines in and
deleting the others.

The Modelines are described by resolution and Frequency. If the tube is
really a 14", I'd try 640x480@75Hz and maybe 800x600@60Hz. If these work
well, you might try stepping up from there, frequency-wise.

Greetings,

  Manuel