RE: Getting to the GUI...

--> Do I have any control over where startx looks?
--
--There *is* a command-line option to tell X where to look for it's
--configuration files (see 'man XFree86'), but IMO it is easier to just make

	I just deleted /etc/XF86Config.  My fingers must have slipped at some
	point and dumped a copy back.

--So, did you get it to work then? Good! :) BTW, what's a '2x4'? Always
--eager to learn some new english expressions.

	A 2x4 refers to standard size of lumber used in housing construction
	here in the United States.  It is 2 inches by 4 inches - at least it
	used to be.  Over the years they have shrunk to be 1.5 inch by
	3.5 inches.  In Europe they would be 5x10 cm I guess.  So using that...
	A 1 meter long 5x10 used off the side of someone's head is a good way
	to get their attention!!!

	And no I still don't have X working yet.  But will soon.  Actually, I
	was in a book store looking at the O'Reilly books on Linux when the
	earthquake hit (I live near Seattle).  I went back later and picked up
	the 3rd edition of "Running Linux" which appears to have a very nice
	section on X installation.

--> That I have done.  No luck.  I ran out of time last night, but am going
--> try similar sized monitors to see what the "industry standard" is.  I am
--> waiting for a Linksys KVM switch to arrive and then I will share a
decent
--> monitor (of known characteristics!!) with the Debian box.

	Yes!  Solve the problem in the time-honored fashion.  Throw money at it!!
	Actually, I may borrow a tube from work until my KVM (keyboard-video-mouse)
	switch comes in.

Thanks again.
-rick