RE: Getting to the GUI...

Hi again,

> Do I have any control over where startx looks?

There *is* a command-line option to tell X where to look for it's
configuration files (see 'man XFree86'), but IMO it is easier to just make
sure that the file you want it to read is where it looks by default,
i.e. in /etc/XF86Config. Or in /usr/X11/R6/lib/X11/XF86Config, but make
sure /etc/XF86Config doesn't exist in this case.

> Thanks!!!!  This is one of those tings that will grow "obvious" with time.
> But your 2x4 upside my head just hurried the job.  I think I can play some
> games now with a little more intelligence.

So, did you get it to work then? Good! :) BTW, what's a '2x4'? Always
eager to learn some new english expressions.

> That I have done.  No luck.  I ran out of time last night, but am going to
> try similar sized monitors to see what the "industry standard" is.  I am
> waiting for a Linksys KVM switch to arrive and then I will share a decent
> monitor (of known characteristics!!) with the Debian box.

Well, I wouldn't bother too much with the old one in this case. Just find
something that works at all :)

> Thanks again for all the help!

You're very welcome.

Have fun with Debian!