Re: Reconstructing Var?

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 09:05:19PM -0600, John Travis wrote:
> Is there an easy way to reconstruct the basic heirarchy and files for /var?
> I had a reiserfs meltdown after installing 2.4.2.  I'm not really sure if it
> was that or the new reiserutils or a combination of both.  reiserfsck
> managed to fix everything except for /var which was pretty well hosed.  So I
> had to dpkg -X the older version of reiserutils and install it manually.
> Then a reiserfsck --rebuild-tree on var fixed the problem, but as expected
> nuked _everything_ on the partition.  So is there anything easier than
> manually creating/touching files as needed for syslogd, dpkg, gdm, etc.
> etc.?

if /var/lib/dpkg/* is gone and you have no backups your screwed.
reinstall your system from scratch.

you might consider going back to ext2 for awhile, until reiserfs is
really mature [1].  just because its a journaling filesystem doesn't
mean you can't get fs corruption.

[1] reiserfs does not work at all on big endian archetectures, that is
not a mature filesystem in my book.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/