Re: Reconstructing Var?

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:34:55 -0900, you wrote:

>if /var/lib/dpkg/* is gone and you have no backups your screwed.
>reinstall your system from scratch.

This is what I was afraid of.  And yes, it's ALL gone :-(.  I had gotten so
used to the reliabiltiy of 'unstable' that I had neglected to make proper
backups for quite some time.  My fault, won't happen again 8^).

>you might consider going back to ext2 for awhile, until reiserfs is
>really mature [1].  just because its a journaling filesystem doesn't
>mean you can't get fs corruption.

I might.  I think I might also look into some others like xfs etc.  As long
as I don't forget to pay my electric bill I don't really have to worry much
anyway ;-).

>[1] reiserfs does not work at all on big endian archetectures, that is
>not a mature filesystem in my book.

I seem to have run into the one big problem, the 'not quite there' tools to
repair said damage.  The _only_ way to 'fix' the problems were to do a
reiserfsck --rebuild-tree on /var.  It warned me that this was extremely
dangerous and only to be used as a last desperate messure.  But I was
already screwed and it was the only option I could see at the time :-(

thanks again,

jt