Re: 2nd try, what is my problem with apt-get?

On Wed Feb 28 14:22:14 2001 Lewis, James M. wrote...

>> On Wed Feb 28 09:08:22 2001 Lewis, James M. wrote...

>> stable main

>> ><snip>
>> >
>> >Could you try using ftp instead?  I am using testing/unstable and I
>> >found that the http method doesn't always work anymore.  My error is
>> >different (could not connect to 0.0.0.80) but ftp works fine.  Try
>> >using "deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/...etc";.
>>
>> 	Thanks for the sugestion.
>>
>> 	Unfortunatley, I get the same "Something wicked
>> happended" error when I
>> 	try that.
>>
>> 	Any other sugestiosn?
>
>Ummm... no. not really.  It seems to say it is having trouble resolving
>the name.  Why not try nslookup?  Can you access other stuff outside
>your local net?  Try a manual ftp to ftp.us.debian.org.  If that works,
>I guess a bug report against apt is in order.  Might there be some other
>software getting in the way?  We have some kind of http monitor that is
>always getting in the way somehow.  Since ftp works for me, I have never
>taken the time to try to work through the bureaucracy to fix it.

	To get out at all, I have to use runsocks. Using "runsocks ftp ftp.debian.org",
	and "runsocks lynx http://debian.org' both work fine.

	I did go inot dselect and ask it to change the method to ftp, which I ha not
	done when I tried your sugestion the first time. Now runing "runsocks dslect"
	works (using ftp access, as oposed to http).

	What's really strange is the http access worked fine using runsocks before I
	upgraded from stable to testing, and to the 2.4.2 kernel.

	Also, I don;t have any problems with name resolutin. "nslookup www.debina.org"
	works like a charm.

	I really need to figure this out, I don't ecpect the ftp acess to last much
	longer, only http will probably be available in the near future.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154
Charleston SC.