RE: 2nd try, what is my problem with apt-get?

> On Wed Feb 28 09:08:22 2001 Lewis, James M. wrote...
> >

> >> I have a machine that I have upgraded from stable to testign,
> >> and installed the
> >> 2.4.3 kernel with kernel package on.
> >>

> >> Now apt-get is failing. See the error messages?
> >>

> >> Script started on Tue Feb 27 04:42:29 2001
> >> debian:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> >> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
> >> # deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
> >> # deb http://spidermonkey.ximian.com/distributions/debian
> stable main
> >> debian:~# runsocks aptget   -get update
> >>

> >> 0% [Working]
> >>
> >> Err http://http.us.debian.org testing/main Packages
> >>   Something wicked happend resolving 'http.us.debian.org/http'
> >>
> ><snip>
> >
> >Could you try using ftp instead?  I am using testing/unstable and I
> >found that the http method doesn't always work anymore.  My error is
> >different (could not connect to 0.0.0.80) but ftp works fine.  Try
> >using "deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/...etc";.
>
> 	Thanks for the sugestion.
>
> 	Unfortunatley, I get the same "Something wicked
> happended" error when I
> 	try that.
>
> 	Any other sugestiosn?

Ummm... no. not really.  It seems to say it is having trouble resolving
the name.  Why not try nslookup?  Can you access other stuff outside
your local net?  Try a manual ftp to ftp.us.debian.org.  If that works,
I guess a bug report against apt is in order.  Might there be some other
software getting in the way?  We have some kind of http monitor that is
always getting in the way somehow.  Since ftp works for me, I have never
taken the time to try to work through the bureaucracy to fix it.

jim