Re: install questions

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 06:00:41AM -0800, Dale Morris wrote:
> Here's the error message I get with the make xconfig command:
>
> ake[1]: Leaving directory /usr/src/linux/scripts'
> wish -f scripts/kconfig.tk
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> Application initialization failed: couldn't connect to display ":0.0"
> Error in startup script: invalid command name "button"
>     while executing
>     "button .ref"
>         (file "scripts/kconfig.tk" line 51)
> 	make: *** [xconfig] Error 1

looks like your compiling the source as a different user then
yourself, you can't do that if you want to use X config.

don't compile the kernel as root, its not necessary nor desirable.
(there is no reason to keep kernel source in /usr/src either, unless
you have  personal preference for it, in that case add yourself to
group src and untar the kernel source as you and not root)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/