Re: Getting to the GUI...

Quoting Rick Commo (Rick.Commo@verizon.net):

> Thanks for the info.  I have done exactly what you said.  When I peruse it I
> see the "(--)" line for each screen that has been described in my
> XF86Config.

That would indicate that your XF86Config is not being read. Anything
that is read should have (**) against it.

Look at the first line of this section (the 2nd paragraph). It
should say

XF86Config: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config

and if you check this file it should be

$ ls -l /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config -> /etc/X11/XF86Config

and *that* is where your file should be: /etc/X11/XF86Config

> In my earlier post requesting help I got a few hints to link /etc/X11/X ->
> /usr/bin/X11/XF86_Mach64.  So I've done that as well.

That looks wrong: /etc is for configuration files; XF86_Mach64 is an
executable.

> My frustration is that I don't know how I'm supposed to subscribe the
> monitor properly.  I've pulled the XF86Config over from my Mandrake
> partition.  I've done several installs of Mandrake while hacking around and
> never had a problem so I figured the XF86Config file from there should be
> solid.  But no luck with that gambit either.

There shouldn't be any problem if you put the file in the correct
place, which may differ from distribution to distribution depending
on how closely they follow the standard. You may need to check
filepaths (like font directories).

> > What am I missing?  I ask this because 3 other people within the last few
> > days have also made mention of this same problem with the X server - the
> > "can't connect, 111 error".  Two were on this reflector and one was in a
> > private mailing.  I would hazard a guess that it is all tied up in one's
> > monitor selection, perhaps coupled with the choice of monitor mode

Error 111 has no such specific meaning. It is actually a non-X-specific
error message meaning that a process couldn't connect to a socket.
The cause is merely that X is not running. Period. That's why reading
the stderr output was such good advice.

Cheers,