From: Nicole Zimmerman [mailto:colby@wsu.edu]
Sent: Sunday, February 25, 2001 11:44 PM
To: Rick Commo
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Getting to the GUI...

> (4) When install finishes log into root and do
>         apt-get install xserver-mach64
>     and say yes to making it the default xserver.
>
>     It starts up XF86Setup and I configure what I think
>     is the correct monitor choice - 8514 for starters.
>
>     When I hit [Done] the Xserver barfs - "no screens
>     configured" so therefore get the infamous  (by this time)
>     "can't connect error 111" message.

This isn't really enough information to "fix" this sort of problem from.
Try starting X with `startx > xlog.log` and then after your Xserver fails
to load, check in the xlog.log for more information. There has to be a
reason your screens aren't configured.

> What am I missing?  I ask this because 3 other people within the last few
> days have also made mention of this same problem with the X server - the
> "can't connect, 111 error".  Two were on this reflector and one was in a
> private mailing.  I would hazard a guess that it is all tied up in one's
> monitor selection, perhaps coupled with the choice of monitor mode

if you look at the "Screen" section of your XF86Config you'd get a little
bit of a picture of a "screen". A "screen" combines the driver for your
card with the monitor and the depth/mode information. If any one of these
things goes wrong, a "screen" can't be created and you get the errno111.

-nicole