Re: LONG FILE NAMES

To quote "D. Hoyem" <youto_22554@yahoo.com>,
# attempted to put them in the /mount directory, one
# would go there but the other would not... both were
# labeled vfat:win95 and I assume that you can not have
# 2 of the same in /mount.  The problem is that when I

You can only mount one partition per directory. If you want to mount
both under /mount, you'll need to create two directories under /mount,
and mount them each individually there.

# open those drives to copy something from them to
# Debian they use the short file name ie comm~1.deb
# instead of communicator-base-275_4.75-2.deb, it is
# this way if I use gmc or open the directory and use
# ls.   How do I  correct this? When I look at a folder
# on the cdrom they are the long file name....Help.

Be sure you're mounting them with the "vfat" filesystem type. Check
/etc/fstab if that's where you've put in their information. It's
probably set to "fat16" or "msdos" right now.

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)