LONG FILE NAMES

I have Debian installed on hdb2(swap) and hdb3(/),
hdb1 is a small vfat partation.  hda is exclusssively
vfat wind98 programs. When I did the install of Debian
I mounted hda in /Fat-c and hdb1 in /Fat-d.  I
attempted to put them in the /mount directory, one
would go there but the other would not... both were
labeled vfat:win95 and I assume that you can not have
2 of the same in /mount.  The problem is that when I
open those drives to copy something from them to
Debian they use the short file name ie comm~1.deb
instead of communicator-base-275_4.75-2.deb, it is
this way if I use gmc or open the directory and use
ls.   How do I  correct this? When I look at a folder
on the cdrom they are the long file name....Help.
Thanks in advance
Don