Re: Network card

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 09:23, eileen@orbell.com wrote:

> I am doing a new install of Debian 2.2 onto a older box of mine.  I am
> trying to get past the network modules installation.  I started with 2
> Linksys ISA cards and had no luck so pulled them out and put in a PCI
> Linksys Etherfast card. I tryed the ne module and ne PCI NE2000 support
> module but when it probes I get this error everytime.
>
> /lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/net/ni5010.o: init_modlues: Device or resource busy
>
> I do have the same type of card in another Debian box which I do not recall
> having problems with but in saying that, it has been in there for over a
> year now.

Stab in the dark: when you say older do you mean 486? I have had similar
problems with 3C509 in 486 box not being detected, but the same
kernel/NIC combination works fine in Pentium box. Compiling driver into
kernel solved the problem.

Another thing: at least the initial release of potato came with
different sets of /boot/root/driver floppies. I had one NIC that wasn't
detected by the "stock" set, but was by one of the "special" sets, -ide
or -compact IIRC.

Luck,
Pann
--
geek by nature, Linux by choice                     L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\