compiling a program

Hi,

I have simple question concerning compiling a programm ....
When I compile a program from the sources and it beakes for whatever
reason, how can I get rid of all the files that were created so far or
how can I remove this 'broken' program ?  Is there anything like
'apt-get -f install' which is used for .deb files ?

And how can I find out if a new version of a package, for example libc6,
depends on any other package? For example I tried to compile a
movie-player but it needed a newer version of libc6, which I don't have,
so how can I find out if I need any other package for libc6 to work?
(I'm still using the 2.2.17 kernel...)

TIA!
Philipp