Which IMAP server to use?

Could someone recommend which IMAP server I should use? The only one I've
tried, the one associated with Pine - or maybe it was the UW one (or are they
the same? maybe) was too slow to use, and every other one I've seen does not
support standard UNIX mbox format. That, however, is OK with me if I can keep
the notification that bash gives me when I have new mail. I am under the
impression that this feature of bash only works for mbox format. How can I
resolve this and set up IMAP while preserving that feature?

Thanks in advance.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@kaplowitz.org