Re: ethernet card installation

Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:

> Hi,
>
> John Galt wrote:
>
> > >to my aliases file in /etc/modutils.  The line I added
> > >was "alias eth0 tulip".  This didn't seem to have any
> > >effect.  There was no /dev/eth*'s after I rebooted.
> >
> > If modprobe/insmod works, just add tulip to /etc/modules and you'll have
> > the card up.  Getting it to do what you want is for another part...
>
> /etc/modules should not be edited by hand.
>
> Johnny: After editing /etc/modutils/aliases, make sure to run
> `update-modules`, otherwise your change goes unnoticed.
>
> BTW, eth* does not appear as device files in /dev/; they're handled
> differently by the linux kernel than other Unix implementations.
> However, after changing /etc/modutils/aliases and running
> `update-modules` (see the man page for more), a `ifconfig eth0 up`
> should work and create the eth0 interface on the fly.
>
> HTH,
> Viktor
> --
> Viktor Rosenfeld
> WWW: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~rosenfel/
> Geek Code (3.1):
>   GCS/SS d-@ s+: a20 C++@ UL++$ P+ L+++ E--- W++ N++ o? K? !W O? M? V?
>   PS++@ PE+(-) Y+ P?(+++) t+ 5+ X- R? !tv b+ DI+ D- G e>+++ h-- r- !y+
>
> --

Hello,

        I have been using Red Hat and Mandrake for a while now(a few years) but
am fairly new to Debian and hope you don't mind if I ask a couple questions that
I thought you might know about. It looks like you say that /etc/modules should
not be edited by hand. I was just wondering what is wrong with editing it by
hand? I have edited mine by hand to load my usb modules, for my usb mouse, and
for my video driver, NVdriver, and don't seem to have any problems. And
everything looks just the way it should if I run the newer modconf that I just
updated to. The NVDriver is a module that did not come with XFree86 nor the
kernel, and I don't really know what else would be the proper way to get it load
at boot time besides editing that file manually. It doesn't show in modconf. In
Red Hat I have put lines 'modprobe xxxx' in a script that runs at
bootime(/etc/rc.sysinit) to get modules to load. I suppose I could do the same
thing in Debian, but I thought that's what the /etc/modules file was for? Any
enlightenment you can give me as to why it shouldn't be edited by hand would be
appreciated.
        The other thing I was curious about is the 'ifconfig eth0 up' command. I
used to be on a dial-up/ppp connection. But for about 9 months now I have been
on cable and so now use an ethernet card. What I am about to explain goes ditto
for a friend of mine. And it does not seem to matter whether our network is
configured as static, dhcp, or which distribution of Linux we use. After doing
an 'ifconfig eth0 down' the network would not come up by simply doing an
'ifconfig eth0 up'. Upon doing the 'ifconfig eth0 up', no error message is
displayed, but you are led to believe that eth0 is up by the display you get by
just typing 'ifconfig' though. I didn't used to know this, but if you type
'route' it shows the route and at this point it does not have a 'default
gateway' in the route display, only the '*'. But I didn't used to know about
this, and I still don't know why it doesn't bring up the network with the
default gateway when doing 'ifconfig eth0 up'. So both me and my friend would
reboot to get our netowork back up if we had done the 'ifconfig eth0 down'
command. Finally, after getting a little bit of understanding about how various
networks and protocols work, I decided to try to figure out how to bring network
back up without having to reboot, by reading the man pages on several network
commands, such as ping, traceroute, ifconfig, and route, and use a network
diagnostic tool or two, like iptraf. With a little experimentation I then
managed to figure out how to bring up my network manually on the command line.
But I still do not know why it does not come up with a default gateway when
using the 'ifconfig eth0 up' command. The following entries and responses are
how I bring up my network and may help others who are wondering the same thing
and let you know how I go about getting around the default gateway not coming
up, in case you or anyone else may be able to elighten me as to why it is not.

P3V4X:~# ifconfig
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16192  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:2910 (2.8 Kb)  TX bytes:2910 (2.8 Kb)

P3V4X:~# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface

P3V4X:~# ping -c 6 galileo.com
ping: unknown host galileo.com

P3V4X:~# ifconfig eth0 inet netmask 255.255.255.0 -pointopoint 192.168.1.100
address 192.168.1.100           (alternatively  -  'ifconfig eth0 up')
address: Host name lookup failure

P3V4X:~#
route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0

P3V4X:~# route add default gw 192.168.1.1

P3V4X:~# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

P3V4X:~# ping -c 2 galileo.com
PING galileo.com (12.17.202.21): 56 data bytes

--- galileo.com ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 80.0/80.1/80.3 ms

Any insight would be appreciated. And maybe this might help some other's who are
newbie's to networking(of which I am still one) on how to
bring up their network card without having to reboot.
Thanks,

Jimmy Richards
linuxrh@home.com