Re: OT - DOS vs Linux text files?

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 12:12:58PM -0600, William Jensen wrote:
> Highlighting and pasting from what I think is an origionally created
> in windows text file to a linux file produces successive lines that
> are indented across the screen.  However when I create a file in
> linux and then highlight and paste into another file it works fine.
> I think the files that are giving me trouble are windows created
> because I see:
>
> "BlessedEquipment.html" [dos] 127L, 4640C written
>
> when I :w in vim.  If the problem is they were created within
> windows then what is it I need to strip out of the files?  Use perl
> to do it?
>
> I'm frustrated with constantly having to highlight and << paragraphs
> of text.

try 'set ff=unix' to save as unix format and 'set ff=dos' to save in
dos format.  Hilighting is done with 'v' for visual while in command
mode.  You should really type ':help' one of these days and read a bit
up on your editor. ;-)

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD