Re: OT - DOS vs Linux text files?

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 02:12:42PM -0600, Chad C. Walstrom wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 12:12:58PM -0600, William Jensen wrote:
> > Highlighting and pasting from what I think is an origionally created
> > in windows text file to a linux file produces successive lines that
> > are indented across the screen.  However when I create a file in
> > linux and then highlight and paste into another file it works fine.
> > I think the files that are giving me trouble are windows created
> > because I see:
> >
> > "BlessedEquipment.html" [dos] 127L, 4640C written
> >
> > when I :w in vim.  If the problem is they were created within
> > windows then what is it I need to strip out of the files?  Use perl
> > to do it?
> >
> > I'm frustrated with constantly having to highlight and << paragraphs
> > of text.
> try 'set ff=unix' to save as unix format and 'set ff=dos' to save in
> dos format.  Hilighting is done with 'v' for visual while in command
> mode.  You should really type ':help' one of these days and read a bit
> up on your editor. ;-)

I'm familiar with highlighting/pasting, nudging a paragraph in/out
etc in the same file.  I was just confused why a paste from a diff
text file (using the mouse as the cut/paste tool) was producing
crazy indenting.  Looks like the culprit was cindent in my case.
Thanks for the "noai" tip.  That also fixes the paste.

Thanks to all who responded.