Re: Running Deb on old PCs

To quote Gavin Hamill <gdh@acentral.co.uk>,
# Just my two cents' worth here... I did a semi-manual potato install
# recently (i/e/ selecting individual packages from the menu rather that
# just the groups) and have ended up with a full mail and
# web/SSL/PHP/mod_perl system with quite a few extra odds and ends in
under
# 200Mb... 340 should leave plenty of room even for a kernel recompile
:)

Thanks for the reply :)

I'm not sure how much the voice/fax data will take up though. Worst case
scenario is that it's uncompressed. At that point, you can look at
around 1.5-7M per page per fax(depending on quality), and I think it's
about 10M per mintue of uncompressed audio, although I'm not sure of
that.

Suddenly, that extra 140M doesn't feel quite so roomy ;)

To the original poster: make sure the faxes and voice messages are
compressed :)

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)