Install on a HPT366

I'm having a few problems installing Debian 2.2r2 on a machine with a
HighPoint 366 controller.  Here's my setup.  I have two identical IBM drives
in this computer (on bus 0 and 1 of the highpoint controller).  The first
(hde) is a fat32 win98 drive.  The second (hdg) -- yes, I have both drives
primary master, I'd like to keep it that way -- can be anything I need it to
be, it's blank now.  However, for information's sake I've tried the
following setups:  Partitioned and formatted for FreeBSD, totally
unpartitioned and wiped, partitioned and formatted for win98 (fat32) and
partitioned and formated for linux (ext2).

My problem lies in installing Debian itself.  I am using the UDMA disks
(from the 2.2.20.0.1-2000-12-03 directory under UDMA66) to boot up the
installer.  Dmesg shows both hde and hdg being detected (when starting from
a dos prompt just exited out of windows, they show up as both DMA as well,
otherwise PIO, but for this case, either one will work).  I get into the
installer and attempt to partition the disk.  I am surprised at this point
as hde is the only drive to show up in the list.  This is my win98 disk, and
won't work at all for installing purposes.  I can drop to a shell at this
point (or ANY point for that matter) and access hdg (my blank,
hopefully-future-install disk) in any way I want -- fdisking, formatting,
mounting, ls-ing, etc)  However, the installer does NOT see hdg.  The ONLY
way I can get DebianInstaller to recognize that hdg even exists is to first
mount the hdg drive in a shell, and go to "unmount a previously mounted
drive" (or similar, I don't have it in front of me).  After which I can not
re-mount the drive I just unmounted.

Is this an expected behavior of Debian Installer?  I've had NO problems
installing FreeBSD on the second drive (hdg in linux) without
reconfiguration, and upon popping in a Mandrake (7.2 I believe), I see that
hdg is detected without problem in the installer.

Again, I'd like to stress that linux itself recognizes that there is a
second drive, and that I can do whatever I'd like to it in a shell.  It's
just that I can not see it at ALL in Debian Installer, in any faculty.

Any help on this would be appreciated.  I could easlily switch the physical
config if that's what it calls for, but I don't see any reason that this
configuration shouldn't work.

Thanks for any help!

Stuart Larson