Re: DVD-ROM drive recommendations

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 10:42:02AM +1100, hogan wrote:
> > Checked with the driveinfo.exe -> region free! :)
>
> How does this "region free" patch handle R1 RCE (Region Code Enhancement)
> discs?

Short answer - I don't know.

However, see:

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/RegionalCodeEnhancement/RCE.asp

A relevant quote.

 DVD players that play discs regardless of their Region Coding have
 made a mockery of the Region Coding system. So too has the dramatic
 growth of the Internet. It is just as easy to purchase a DVD from the
 USA as it is to drive down to the local bricks-and-mortar DVD
 retailer.  A new, improved Region Coding system has been developed to
 combat this widespread disregard of the current system. However, as
 we will see, few DVD player owners will have much to fear from this
 new system, despite the scaremongering of the movie studios and some
 less-than-scrupulous retailers."

So, in the end, I don't believe it will pose too many problems for
technically savvy people and that will filter down to the masses.

Jonathan