Re: DVD-ROM drive recommendations

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 04:00:04PM -0500, S . Salman Ahmed wrote:

> I am looking to get a DVD-ROM drive for my system. I would like to hear
> from people who have their DVD-ROM drives working under Linux: make,
> model, good+bad points, etc.

I have a Pioneer 105s, slot-in model, 16x.  Plays CDs and DVDs fine;
I've had no problems.  Some people say it's a little noisy but it's
never bothered me.

> Also, if you have a region locked DVD-ROM drive, did you manage to
> remove the region protection and if so, how well does it work without
> the region protection ?

That's the reason I kept Windows around - so I could remove the region
protection.

In fact I did it this weekend and it worked fine.  But there are
warnings you could make your drive inoperable so be warned.

I rented a couple of DVDs to see how it would go.  I use OMS which has
just been released to play the DVDs: The Iron Giant, a cartoon one,
worked fine.  However, Xman was jerky and sound was out of synch but
this is to do with the OMS software; nothing to do with the DVD drive.

Here are some notes on how I did it.

Since driveinfo.exe reported my drive as firmware 1.11 I upgrade to
1.22 before running the region free bat file.

Downloaded 105s 1.22 firmware from pioneer site to floppy.
Restarted in _DOS_.
Ran the bat file.
Worked OK.
Turned the machine off; then on.
Checked with the driveinfo.exe -> upgraded firmware from 1.11 to 1.22.

Downloaded 105s firmware to make region free from link on
www.firmware.com.bi site to floppy.
Restarted in _DOS_.
Ran the bat file.
Worked OK.
Turned the machine off; then on.
Checked with the driveinfo.exe -> region free! :)

Good luck

Jonathan