Re: Debian or Linux 7???

    Steve,

You sound quite confused. Re-read your message to this list below.

Linux is a kernel, it's used in red hat, debian, and every other 'linux'
distro.

I am using kernel 2.2.17 and really like it. It's as secure as I make
it on my box. The kernel ISN'T the security risk; How you handle the
kernel IS. I could also be running the 2.0.36!

If you put red hat 7.0 on a public server without repairing the released
version, then you made a rather sad mistake. I ran it and enjoyed the
abundance of 'silly' incorporated in that particular release! Of course
it only ran on my bench box for demo purposes.

I think your "guy" recommending Debian is probably the FIRST step in
the right direction.

You might also consider a 'sysadmin' to keep your system running safely
and 'securely'.

Best of luck to you,

regards

--

Jaye Inabnit, ARS ke6sls     e-mail: ke6sls@arrl.net
707-442-6579 h/m                     707-268-4074