Re: Making a Backup to a CD-RW

Lo, on Monday, February 19, Raffaele Sandrini did write:

> Hi all
>
> I want to make backups to CD-RW. So i have to do it with the mkisofs prog
> to create the image.  Is it possible that i culd make an exact copy of my
> files, i mean, that no name is altered after?  I tried it but i never got
> the output i want.  I want to backup the /root, /home and the /etc
> directory into the /root /home and /etc dirs on the CD.  I tried this
> command:

> mkisofs -R -o /tmp/backup.iso /home=/home/ /root=/root/ /etc=/etc/
> but i had errors about dubble files or it merged the files wrong

Far as I know, this should have worked.

Which errors specifically?  Did you mount the resulting image via
/dev/loop* and look at the files?

> Or should i make a tar image first and then a iso image of it and burn this
> to the CD?

Unnecessary.

If you're interested in doing backups to CD-R(W), I'd recommend cddump.
There's not a dpkg, but it's easy enough to install.  See
http://users.gtn.net/fraserm/cddump.html.

Richard