Re: Debian or Linux 7???

Hi Steve!

The kernel being used isn't really the biggest concern when it comes to
security - the ammount of access you allow the outside world is.

Any distribution would be rock-stable, if it was disconnected entirely from
the network.  For most of us, however, that's not an option. ::grin::

So...there are two main things you can do to limit your chances of getting
"hacked":

1 - stay on top of security updates - Debian makes this REALLY easy, as long
as you have the security update server in your apt sources.list.  It doesn't
hurt to subscribe to a couple security-related mailing lists either =)

2 - learn how to configure your system to be more secure - Chances are you
don't need, or can replace, a lot of the services that you're running.
Close off ports using ipchains, shut down inetd services you don't need, and
replace things like telnet with ssh =)  If you work someplace with a good
sysadmin, schedule some time to sit down with him/her and discuss security -
you'll learn a LOT.

If you follow these 2 steps, you can be assured of a reasonable secure
system, no matter which distribution you choose.  We're a bit biased around
here towards Debian, for a variety of reasons - but you should expect that
from a Debian mailing list ;)  By no means is this an exhaustive summary of
system security, but it's what I live by =)

-b3