Re: Antwort: Can't send email from machine configured for DHCP [Virus checked by dvs Leipzig] [Virus checked by dvs Leipzig]

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 10:18:22AM +0100, "Martin_Tanzer"@dvs-berlin.de wrote:

> You have an DNS problem. Mailservers only accept mails, if the Domainname of the
> machine which wants to send mail  (tarot.foo.com) i.e. resolves - fortunately a
> reverse lookup is not nesecary. One possibiliy is to use a dynamic DNS, the
> other is to use the MAC Address to set tarot to a fixed IP-Address, which
> resolves.

Uh.. 'tarot' has two interfaces. The private interface is
'tarot.mentasm.org' which resolves by my local DNS server with IP
address of 192.168.1.1. The public interface is ferret.phonewave.net,
which is a fixed IP address provided by my ISP.

Tarot's mailer is configured to do header rewriting on any mails which
leave my network, by converting addresses of the form foo@*.mentasm.org
to foo@ferret.phonewave.net.

It looks like the mail leaving the DHCP client 'bicycle' does not use
the FQDN, which would be 'bicycle'+'.'+'mentasm.org' on this network.

My server's exim.conf was attached in the original message. Perhaps
someone could suggest an alternate rewrite rule?

-- Ferret