max resolution reached?

Hello,

I'm trying to change my screen resolution to something higher than 640x480, via XF86Setup. However, every attempt to do so fails. I know the monitor supports higher resolutions, and I've seen them on this system under Windows. I've tried nearly every "Monitor" configuration shown in XF86Setup, but the XF86Config file never gets entries higher than 640x480. Could there be something about my video card that is preventing the higher res? Would it be safe to edit the XF86Config file manually?

I'm configuring an older Pentium I 166. Video card model: S3-ViRGE/DX Thanks in advance.

Tim Veazey

Linux Newbie