Re: Partitioning a large drive.

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 03:04:01PM -0600, Lute Mullenix wrote:
> Ok, here's my situation. I was planning on doing the switch to Debian in the
> near future, but it came sooner than expected when the HD in my Brand X
> distro machine bellied up on me. So I went down and picked up a new 30 gig
> unit and it now sits in my Pentium machine eagerly awaiting a new OS. I am
> going to install Debian on it, that's a given, but with all that space sort
> of figured I would break it up into 3, 10 gig partitions, and try the
> multi-boot thing. Have been using single boot setups up to this point.
>
> Well, got cfdisk up on the screen and started out by putting 3 10 gig
> primary partitions on there. But quickly realized I don't have a clue as to
> what I'm doing. Up to this point I have always used the following scheme.
>
> /boot
> /swap
> /
>
> But the largest drive has been a 1.7 gig, so it made sense.
>
> I did a test install on an old 486, which I'm using for this message, using
> the above set up. And during the install, I selected newbe docs, but can't
> find anything on here in the line of HOW-TOs or that sort of stuff.
>
> Could someone get me started on this, or at least direct me to the proper
> docs? Also, if I use more than one Linux install, can I get by with just one
> /swap partition, or would I need one for each install?
>
> What I have in mind is a stable, the Potato disks I have now, a testing,
> Woody I believe it is at this point, and then FreeBSD, just because I have
> it laying around here. I'll leave the unstable to those more stout of heart
> than myself.
>
> Would the following work?
>
> /boot (5 meg primary)
> /     (10240 meg logical)
> /swap (64 meg primary)
>
> Just leaving the rest open until I get ready to install the other OSs.
>
> Anyone?

What you have should work fine.  With as much disk space as you have I
would bump your swap space up a bit if you have 64 megs of ram.  I like to
partition a little more than that but unless this is a mission critical
server there really isn't much reason to do so.  You will come up with a
partitioning scheme that you are comfortable as you go along.  You can
share /swap between other versions of debian and freebsd.  You might
want to check out -
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+FreeBSD.html
kent

--