Partitioning a large drive.

Ok, here's my situation. I was planning on doing the switch to Debian in the
near future, but it came sooner than expected when the HD in my Brand X
distro machine bellied up on me. So I went down and picked up a new 30 gig
unit and it now sits in my Pentium machine eagerly awaiting a new OS. I am
going to install Debian on it, that's a given, but with all that space sort
of figured I would break it up into 3, 10 gig partitions, and try the
multi-boot thing. Have been using single boot setups up to this point.

Well, got cfdisk up on the screen and started out by putting 3 10 gig
primary partitions on there. But quickly realized I don't have a clue as to
what I'm doing. Up to this point I have always used the following scheme.

/boot
/swap
/

But the largest drive has been a 1.7 gig, so it made sense.

I did a test install on an old 486, which I'm using for this message, using
the above set up. And during the install, I selected newbe docs, but can't
find anything on here in the line of HOW-TOs or that sort of stuff.

Could someone get me started on this, or at least direct me to the proper
docs? Also, if I use more than one Linux install, can I get by with just one
/swap partition, or would I need one for each install?

What I have in mind is a stable, the Potato disks I have now, a testing,
Woody I believe it is at this point, and then FreeBSD, just because I have
it laying around here. I'll leave the unstable to those more stout of heart
than myself.

Would the following work?

/boot (5 meg primary)
/     (10240 meg logical)
/swap (64 meg primary)

Just leaving the rest open until I get ready to install the other OSs.

Anyone?
--
  >Lute<
     Hey! It happens. Well it does...