HDDs (Re: Rebooting is foolish .... )

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 18:41:04 +0100, William Leese writes:
>..okay, so we have maxtor, seagate, conner (same company as seagate maybe,
>but they still sell HDs under their name) and i think i've heard something
>about samsung.. so, which HD manufacturer makes reliable HDs, anyone? IBM
>maybe?

I use IBM-hdds almost exclusively since ~ 1996, mainly because they´re
 almost always the 2nd-cheapest. Not a single one failed me in that
 time, even though some of them are installed in, well, suboptimal ways
 (not being fixated with screws, but dangling around...see
 http://gfrastsackl.org/realityshow/ for examples). This all only
 counts IDE-drives, for SCSI I use Seagate Cheetah´s, but it seems to
 me that they´ve got a lifespan of ~ 2 years only, then start slowly
 dying (but hey, they´re fast).

cheers,
&rw
--
/  Ing. Robert Waldner  | Network Engineer | T: +43 1 89933  F: x533 \
\ <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> |    KPNQwest/AT   |   DSA key ID: C33A2BC0  /