Putting computer on standby or sleep

Hello,

I would like to know if (and how) I can make my computer "suspend" so that
all (most of) is powered down but I can "resume" it and have it in the
same state it had before the "suspend".  Something like portables do, but
with a workstation.

The system is a dual PII-450 on a Supermicro P6DGU 440GX motherboard on an
ATX power supply, and runs Debian unstable updated every night with kernel
release 2.4.1.  APM is disabled on multiprocessor systems, ACPI works.

Thanks in advance, Enrico

--
GPG public key available on finger -l zinie@cs.unibo.it