Re: IMPS/2 problems after kernel 2.4.1 update

To quote Dave Bresson <david.bresson@yale.edu>,
# On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, David B. Harris wrote:
# Yeah, sorry about that...my babbling doesn't translate well to
paragraphs.
# Ah well...

:)

# > First of all, if your mouse isn't initialized as an IntelliMouse, it
# > pretends it's a regular PS/2 mouse.
#
# Right.  What do you mean by 'initialized'?  You mean initialized as in
# what gpm.conf and XF86Config-4 have it set as?  Or something else?

Well, it depends on what gets to the mouse first. If X gets to the mouse
first, then it'll be initialized as whatever XF86Config-4 has it set to.
If gpm gets to it first, it'll be initialized to whatever gpm.conf
thinks it is.

Anyways, I'm sure this is all very confusing, and it took me nearly a
month to figure out what was going on :) Basically, you *have* to make
sure that whatever gets to the mouse first initializes it to the highest
degree possible. The means using the protocol that most closely matches
what the mouse actually uses.

# > Third, it sounds like both GPM and X are trying to use /dev/psaux.
Check
# > to see what /dev/mouse is linked to. Since you're using GPM and X,
# > specify explicitly in XF86Config[-4] that the mouse device is
# > /dev/gpmdata, not /dev/mouse .
# >
#
# Well, since X wants to use /dev/mouse , i made it a sym link to
# /dev/gpmdata (since that is what gpm is set to repeat to)  I guess i
# probably shoulda stated that it was just a link in my previous email.

I had thought this ... but since 'gpm' and X were conflicting, I wasn't
sure. Are you using devfs with devfsd? Double-check the /dev/mouse is a
symlink to /dev/gpmdata. Using devfsd, changes arn't always kept over a
reboot.

# > Now, try rebooting, after making sure all those config options are
set
# > properly. If it still doesn't work, set X to use /dev/psaux, type
# > ImPS/2, 'rm /etc/rc2.d/*gpm' to stop 'gpm' from being started on
boot,
# > and then re-boot. Hopefully that will work. If it doesn't, you have
# > problems that arn't caused by X or gpm.
#
# Okay, i had tried this before, however it was without the reboot, so i
# tried it again.  As it turned out, this fixed it.  Pointing X straight
# /dev/psaux, and not starting gpm at all did it.  Which leads me to
believe
# that gpm doesn't work with the new kernel 2.4.1 i set up, since the
old
# configuration worked just fine with 2.2.18...very strange.  Any ideas
on
# why this might be?

Yup, I figured a reboot would fix it. :) It's that bloody initialization
thing. I don't think it's a problem with gpm and 2.4.x. I'm running
2.4.1-ac15, with devfs, but without devfsd and it works fine. I think
that if gpm.conf is set to use the imps2 protocol, it should work. Just
to humour me, try explicitly stating in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 that X
should use /dev/gpmdata. Make sure 'gpm' starts at boot time, and
re-boot. If that doesn't work, feel free to contact me for more help :)

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)