Re: 2 simple questions

"Brad Cramer" <callahan.funeral@gte.net> writes:

> other question may be a little more complicated.  I am using gdm to
> login and I normaly run Enlightenment but I wanted to try out Gnome
> but when I selecect it from the gdm menu it starts gnome and kde
> together. I have replaced the /etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome script with
> one that just has exec /usr/bin/gnome-session but that didn't help,
> if I start kde it works fine and it is a script that just has exec
> /usr/bin/startkde, any ideas on this one?

Enlightenment is a window manager that runs on top of gnome.  Gnome
does not have its own window manager.  KDE on the other hand is both
the desktop environment and the window manager.

So you can't really run gnome without a window manager.  You need
enlightenment or sawfish or some wm.

I am not sure what you mean when you say kde and gnome start
together.  I don't see how this is possible.  I think gnome and kde
have support modes for each other, but you wouldn't, say, get both the
gnome panel and the kde panel.

HTH,
Anthony