Re: HD size problem (IBM 30 GB)

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 06:04:47PM +0600, Bram Dumolin wrote:
> re,
>
> CaT(cat@zip.com.au)@Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 10:41:12PM +1100:
> > >
> > > uhm the fdisk source isn't there...
> > > not in stable, not in testing, ...
> > > Can you give me your sources.list entry?
> >
> > Ooops. linux-util or util-linux is what you want. my line is:
> >
> > deb-src ftp://debian-ftp.pacific.net.au/debian testing main contrib non-free
> >
> > change the hostname to what's appropriate for you.
>
> tnx :)
>
> But still doesn't work...
> Might be a kernel driver prob... 2.0.33 is pretty old...

there were various size-limits in older kernels/BIOSes...
For example there was one at 33.8 GB. Are you sure your drive is
exactly 30 GB, and not a few percent larger?
You'll find more details on this in the following howto:

http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/Large-Disk.html

> Too bad of the patches, I should rewrite them I guess.

as a temporary solution you might try to find a patch for your kernel
version. If I remember correctly, there is one for 2.0.38, maybe you
can somehow get that working for 2.0.33...
In the long run, it would probably be a better idea to rewrite your
patches ;)

Erdmut

--
Erdmut Pfeifer
science+computing gmbh

-- Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut! --