rebuilding dpkg db from manual compiled stuff

re,

2 questions:

1) How do you rebuild the dpkg db on a system where there are so many self-compiled/installed programs that you lost track of it.
I mean, is there a simple way of checking them in the db, so you can upgrade easily to the newest versions or do you have to install the debs and then remove your originally compiled programs.

2) Is there a way to update the dpkg db, with your own program info.
Without creating a .deb.
ex: I installed x from sources and of course there isn't anything in my system except the binaries and the config files, that show that I installed it.
Can I manually add that to the dpkg db?
Or should I just edit some files in /var/lib/dpkg ?

--
/bye
Bram-debian@grmbl.net

	People using html in email should be shot.

By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment. By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for each violation.