Re: debian command list

will trillich(will@serensoft.com)@Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 10:42:26PM -0600:
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 08:40:19AM -0800, Mike Egglestone wrote:
> > Hi all...
> > I'm looking for a web site that would have
> > a nice list and basic description of debian commands.....
> > Anyone know of such a place?
> >
> > or even just linux commands for that matter...
>
> one cool trick most linux shells offer is 'completion' meaning:
>
> 	type a few letters and press TAB, to see what's available
> 	that starts with that 'string' of letters.
>
> try
>
> 	mo<TAB>
> 	apt<TAB>
> 	add<TAB>
> 	loc<TAB>
>
> and then to find more out about any of those, try
>
> 	man <command>
> 	info <command>
> 	[browse to] localhost/doc/<command> or <command>-doc
> 	<command> --help
>
> commands available to your account are those in directories
> mentioned in your $PATH variable. try
>
> 	echo $PATH
>
> to see them -- then nose around in each to see what's there.

What you can also do, and how I learned a lot is :
cd /bin
whatis *

that will give you a small description of every command in there.

Try it for /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin, /usr/local/bin, ...

Then you can do man <command> or info <command> to get more information.

--
	 People using html in email should be shot.

Opinions are like assholes -- everyone's got one, but nobody wants to
look at the other guy's.
		-- Hal Hickman

By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment. By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for each violation.