Re: Can't connect two debian boxes via PLIP

Matthew Dalton wrote:

> > I've followed PLIP-Howto steps, but even when I already
> > tried two cables (which work under Windows, I know this doesn't prove
> > anything, but..)
>
> It proves that the cables are okay.
>
> >, I still can't make this to work. I stop in the ping
> > step. My potato says plip0: transmit timeout(1,87) and my woody stays
> > forever waiting for an answer. This are my settings:
>
> What happens if you try to ping from the woody machine?

When I try to ping from the woody machine, it stays forever waiting for
an answer

> > ¿any suggestion?
>
> Do you have any ipchains rules setup on either of the machines?
> Does one of the machines have a modem and is used to dial in to the
> internet? Maybe your firewall rules are stoping the packets getting
> through.

input (policy ACCEPT)
forward (policy DENY):
MASQ	all -----  192.168.0.0/24  anywhere n/a
output (policy ACCEPT)

> Check the log files in /var/log for any denied packet log entries (you
> did use the 'log' switch with ipchains, didn't you?) or kernel error
> messages.

Nothing in the log

> You could also use 'traceroute' to see how far the packets are getting.

They don't go anywhere, just my box is listed.