Emacs works differently within X and outside

I am running emacs 20.7-2 and xfree 4.0.2/kde2.1beta2 on a Debian
potato system

If I run emacs in a console, or over an ssh link (which appears like a
console in an xterm) then BKSP and DEL work according to Debian
policy.  (ie BKSP deletes character to left of cursor, DEL deletes
character at cursor).

If I run emacs so that it creates an x-window to run in then the
behaviour is different.  In this case DEL and BKSP both work the same
and delete the character to the left of the cursor).

I don't like this latter behaviour and I believe it shouldn't work
like this according to the Debian policy.  However, I have spent ages
trying to find out how key behaviour is controlled here and I can't.

Any ideas?

Alan

alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk
http://www.chandler.u-net.com