Re: magicfilter install problems

Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Do you have exim configured to deliver local mail?
> Do you have non root account?
>
> Exim refuse to deliver to root so you need to have
> /etc/aliases redirecting root mail to user account.
> Good luck.

This is not correct.  There is an option in the exim.conf that controls
whether exim will deliver to root or not.  If you comment out the one line
exim will then deliver to root quite happily.  The pertinent section is:

--- Begin snip ---
# No local deliveries will ever be run under the uids of these users (a
# colon-separated list). An attempt to do so gets changed so that it runs
# under the uid of "nobody" instead. This is a paranoic safety catch. Note
# the default setting means you cannot deliver mail addressed to root as if
# it were a normal user. This isn't usually a problem, as most sites have an
# alias for root that redirects such mail to a human administrator.
#
# However, you chose not to have such an alias, so this is commented out

#never_users = root
--- End snip ---

With that line commented out, mail is delivered here to root just fine.
Yes, I did have to make that decision.  But the point is that it *is*
possible if desired.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.