anybody else having loopback problems?

yay unstable. a few days ago, I started having all kinds of problems
with networking- fetchmail wouldn't fetch mail, samba not working,
etc.- that I eventually tracked down to the loopback device not
getting brought up on boot. did ifconfig and route for lo, and
everything's fine for now. (have to put it in some init script...)
the only explanation I can come up with is that some package got
updated and broke something since I didn't do it. ;)  but I'm not
sure, so I thought I'd ask if anybody else had/has the same problem.

Mike McGuire