Overnight clock problems?

Hi all,

I've had this problem since installing a new hard drive and putting
unstable on it. Prior to this unstable was running on an older hard disk
without problem.

Basically, I logoff from the Internet overnight and in the morning find
the machine showing the early hours as the time. Today at midday I got
to it and it claimed it was around 3am. This is clearly wrong.

If I leave the network connection up overnight, the clock is fine the
next day. In fact, if I bring down the net connection during the day,
the clock eventually gets set to the early hours again. This is
puzzelling.

I'm thinking that somewhere there is a cron job to set the time using
NTP and when no NTP servers are found the clock may be getting set to
midnight, only I can't find it. I have ntpdate installed and have to use
it immediately when I come online in the morning else logs will be
screwed obviously.

Any ideas where I can remove this entry? I have a pretty standard setup,
very little non-debian software components installed. It's driving me
mad :(

Regards,

James Green