Re: Overnight clock problems?

Quoting James Green (jg@cyberstorm.demon.co.uk):

> I've had this problem since installing a new hard drive and putting
> unstable on it. Prior to this unstable was running on an older hard disk
> without problem.
>
> Basically, I logoff from the Internet overnight and in the morning find
> the machine showing the early hours as the time. Today at midday I got
> to it and it claimed it was around 3am. This is clearly wrong.
>
> If I leave the network connection up overnight, the clock is fine the
> next day. In fact, if I bring down the net connection during the day,
> the clock eventually gets set to the early hours again. This is
> puzzelling.
>
> I'm thinking that somewhere there is a cron job to set the time using
> NTP and when no NTP servers are found the clock may be getting set to
> midnight, only I can't find it. I have ntpdate installed and have to use
> it immediately when I come online in the morning else logs will be
> screwed obviously.

If the clock gets set backwards, you ought to see the effect in the
logs (messages) because MARK is added every twenty minutes.

If you shutdown *without* letting "etc/init.d/hwclock.sh stop"
execute (temporarily move the link first), is the RTC still correct?
If so, that puts paid to a battery fault.

Is the clock perhaps just freezing while the machine sleeps? I think
you have to have a daemon running which resets the clock when it
wakes up, but I don't know the details. Perhaps it doesn't run correctly.

Cheers,