Re: Unable to install netscape

Hallo victor,

> OK, I've installed Potato 2.2.r2, X window, Gnome, Window Maker and
> Enlightenment and, finally, I've been trying to install netscape 4.76
> unsuccessfully.
> Using the three original CDs I've issued the command
> apt-get install netscape
> it starts installing netscape3 to stop after a while saying that:
> the netscape archive must be in /tmp  under the name
> /tmp/netscape-v304-export.x86-unknown.linux.elf.tar.gz
> dpkg:error processing netscape3 (--configure):
> subprocess post-installation script returned exit status 1 .....
I think that the problem is, your are trying to install an old version oft
netscape, with depands on a binary archiv of Netscape 3.06. I use sid so
it might no be the same but:

apt-cache search communicator | grep 476

communicator-smotif-476 - Netscape Communicator 4.76 (static Motif)
communicator-spellchk-476 - Popular World-Wide-Web browser software (spelling dictionary)
netscape-smotif-476 - This installs a standard set of netscape programs
communicator-smotif-476-libc5 - Netscape Communicator 4.76 (static Motif) (libc5 version)
communicator-base-476 - Communicator base support for version 4.76
netscape-smotif-476-libc5 - This installs a standard set of netscape programs (libc5 version)
communicator-nethelp-476 - Communicator online help for version 4.76

Try the following:

apt-get install communicator-smotif-476

it should install the latest version of Netscape, but give mozilla
(www.mozilla.org) a try...

> What does it mean and how can I install netscape 4.76 at last?
> Thanks for the help (I didn't know to find so many packages not working
> correctly under Debian)
I've tried nearly all distributions, and Debian's packagesystem and
"apt-get" are hight above other tolls, like rpm...

--
Bye
    Gregor Anders