mouse-wheel and tiny fonts [Re: XFree 4.0 and TNT2 video cards ]

"David B. Harris" wrote:

> To quote Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>,
> # So... how do I get the "nv" driver?
>
> Hmm... Well, maybe linking /usr/bin/X11/XFree86 to /etc/X11/X might be a
> start.

D'oh!
>        You'll also want to make sure you have a working
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Try 'xf86cfg' or 'xf86config' to get one if you
> havn't hand-written it.

Thanks.

- I used xf86config and found my Nvidia TNT2 M64 wasn't listed,
  so I picked the RIVA TNT2 instead.  X seems happy enough.

- I had to add "1600x1200" in the list of desired MODES.

- OpenGL GLX doesn't work (`OpenGL GLX extension not supported by
  display', 'No OpenGL RGB visual available').

- I edited XF86Config-4 to set the mouse protocol to "ImPS/2 as
  in 3.3.6, but my mouse wheel no longer works (emits no key
  codes at all).  I tried being creative and adding this (a
  variation on what I use in 3.3.6):
    Option "ZAxisMapping 4 5"
  but it didn't work.

- X starts up but some applications have tiny fonts: netscape in
  particular, xcalc also looks strange.  Perhaps I also need to
  change something in the font servers?  I have both of these
  running:

   /usr/bin/X11/xfs -daemon
   /usr/X11R6/bin/xfstt --port 7101 --daemon --user nobody

  xfs is Version: 4.0.2-1.  I have restarted the daemons without
  effect.

I'm curious about fixing the fonts and getting the wheel to work
for the long term, but the lack of OpenGL _might_ make me revert
to 3.3.6 for now (I don't use many packages that need it, but
wanted to tinker with geomview).

Anyone have comments about tiny fonts and the mouse-wheel?

Thanks,
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada
P.O. Box 1000, Mont-Joli Qc, G5H 3Z4 Canada. 418-775-0852 FAX: 775-0546
    6623'rd GNU/Linux user at the Counter - http://counter.li.org/