Re: email-address embedded in homemade kernels

also sprach D-Man (on Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:13:35PM -0500):
> specified in a file in /etc (that gets read on boot).  I know that if
> you change the name of localhost in /etc/hosts and reboot your
> greeting will show the new host name.

no, not true. you have to change /etc/hostname for that.

> BTW,  Is there a way to "reset" the hostname without rebooting?  I had

do precisely that: echo my_new_hostname > /etc/hostname followed by a
/bin/hostname `cat /etc/hostname`

martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--
prepBut nI vrbLike adjHungarian! qWhat's artThe adjBig nProblem?
                                               -- alec flett @netscape