Re: email-address embedded in homemade kernels

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 11:31:57PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
| Hello!
|
| I was wondering if it is possible to embed my email address into
| homegrown kernels. My current kernel greets me with
|

| Linux version 2.2.19pre6 (root@silver) ....
|

| but I would much prefer something like
|

| Linux version 2.2.19pre6 (diego@biurrun.de) ....

I don't think it is hard-coded into the kernel.  I believe it is
specified in a file in /etc (that gets read on boot).  I know that if
you change the name of localhost in /etc/hosts and reboot your
greeting will show the new host name.

BTW,  Is there a way to "reset" the hostname without rebooting?  I had
a problem with this a while back --  I called my machine by one name,
but the DNS server called it by another.  The result was that no one
but my own machine could browse my web pages under user's home
directories.  (apache did some rerouting to the hostname the kernel
thought it was, but then other machines couldn't lookup the name)
Kind of fun, huh? ;-)

-D