woody, XF86 4.0.2 upgrade & kde2.0

I had stable installed with X (which ever comes with stable), and KDE 2, on my laptop. Everything running fine
I upgraded to woody, and then installed x 4.0.2.  It unistalled KDM, Why? Does KDM not work with XF86 4.0.2?  When I type startx the bare wm comes up, but the mouse no longer worked, so I did xf86config.  setting the mouse to /dev/gpmdata
the mouse moved but was not moving correctly.  I re-installed KDM thinking it would start up KDE, but when I rebooted, it says starting KDM, but stays in console mode.  any clues???

wayne